Filipino Advocates for Justice (FAJ) is a non-profit based in Alameda County California. We are a 43 year old, service, community organizing and social justice organization in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our mission is to build a strong and empowered Filipino community by organizing constituents, developing leaders, providing services, and advocating for policies that promote social and economic justice and equity. More information about what we do is available at www.filipinos4justice.org
The Lead Organizer will oversee FAJ’s social justice and civic engagement work that includes policy development, community organizing, participation in numerous coalitions and collaboratives, and voter engagement. This position reports to the Executive Director and would oversee FAJ’s work in our Oakland and Union City offices.
PRIMARY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversee FAJ’s organizing activities: including campaign direction, planning, and guidance, leadership development of staff, youth and workers, and connections to the broader social justice movement.
- Monitor and analyze federal, state, and local laws and policies as they impact immigrants and communities of color; plan and coordinate community education
Oversee planning and implementation of FAJ’s voter identification, education and mobilization work
Communications: Serve as spokesperson for FAJ, including cultivating relationships with Filipino, Asian, and mainstream press; elected officials and their staff; policymakers; other social justice organizations locally and nationally; etc.
- Regularly engage in media events to promote organization.
- Adept in current social media formats, and ability to strategically apply social media to FAJ’s objectives.
Management and supervision: Support the Executive Director in implementation of FAJ’s strategic plan/direction. Help supervise volunteers and college interns.
- Strong familiarity with history of immigrant communities and non-profit organizations;
- Minimum 3 years experience in campaign development and implementation, program development, and immigrant and youth leadership development;
- Experience directing advocacy/organizing programs;
- Be a strategic thinker and planner;
- Some experience in voter registration, education and get-out-the-vote (GOTV);
- Experience in training and facilitation;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and public speaking skills;
- Strong media, social media, writing and communications experience;
- Drivers license, car insurance and access to a car; and
- Willing and able to travel to and work in other parts of Alameda County/East Bay.
- Tagalog language skills, a plus;
- Relevant academic training/classes;
- Intergenerational experience/skills
- Some fundraising, grant writing skills and experience, a plus.
- Comfortable in a fast paced (sometimes intense) work environment; fast learner, self starter, able to ask for help
Salary depends on experience (DOE). Full Medical and dental coverage.
Please send a cover letter, resume and 1 to 2 page writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position is open immediately until filled.
Or mail to: Lillian Galedo
Filipino Advocates for Justice
310 8th St. Suite 309, Oakland, CA 94607